Monday, April 2, 2018



52 Ancestors Week 13: The Old Homestead


I grew up hearing stories of the Ellis homestead. Mom would tell stories of how she and her siblings would be there with her grandparents and how great-grandpa David Ellis would gather them around the fireplace in the evenings and read to them from his Bible. Stories of learning to swim and playing in the woods near the farm. I had built up a mental picture of a small white house filled with love and laughter.

About a year after joining WikiTree I ran into a distant cousin Ruth who had taken her father back to see the old homestead. She had photos of the Ellis hearth, as the house was long gone. (to see this photo please visit the profile for David Ellis on WikiTree) This was such a surprise and joy for me to see. Here before my eyes was the fireplace my mother sat near as a child. I could almost see and hear then sitting there listening to my great-grandpa David Ellis read from his Bible. I could hear my mamaw Sophia Ellis Samples telling the children to be still and listen.

We have a Facebook group consisting of cousins from the line of Sophia Ellis Samples and Charles Samples that we are using to share old photos as we find them. I have seen some wonderful old pictures lately of my Aunts and Uncles. One picture that brought me great joy is a photo of the Ellis homestead taken in 1956.

In this photo, shared by a cousin, I see before me the homestead my grandmother Sophia lived in. My mom and her siblings had played on that front porch as children. I can not put into words the wonder and excitement at seeing this place of my dreams. No, it was not white, no it was not small but I know it was filled with love and joy.






The photo was taken Jan 1957



There is one photo of him and his 2 daughters, Sophia and Mary, I have which shows him in the latter part of his life. I am not sure where this was taken but I think the year was 1956. I have always wondered if this was taken at his home on Racoon Creek.





From left to right: Sophia Ellis Samples, David Ellis, Mary Ellis Hall


I am going to return to my old box of photos and see what other treasures I have that have not been added to our shared family tree on WikiTree. Until next time I hope all have a safe and joy-filled week.

No comments:

Post a Comment