Monday, February 5, 2018

52

Ancestors in 52 Weeks

 Week 6 : Favorite Name


This one caused some thought. I don't know if this is a favorite name or just one that I found unusual. I have chosen Salathiel which is the name of my second great grandfather Salathiel Samples Until I started researching my family tree I do not remember ever hearing this name. I remember saying to myself this will make find him easy.

Until this challenge I had never taken the time to look up the name to see where it originated from. Well to my surprise it is from the Bible, 1 Chronicles 3:17–18 and Matthew 1:12 shows that Salathiel, was the son of Jeconiah the king of Judah who is from the line of Solomon. Upon looking for the meaning of the name if any I found that the in Hebrew, the name Shealtiel means, Shə’altî ’Ēl. Loosely translated means "I asked El (for this child)" (1) Other sources show it to mean “Asked or lent of God”.

I find this most interesting. It shows the tradition of using Biblical names for children is long standing. I decided to run a search on WikiTree to see just how many Salathiel’s were there. Much to my surprise there are 193 matches for "Salathiel ". The oldest is Salathiel Bale born about 1692 in Alwington, Devon, England - died in Nov 1733 in Alwington, Devon, England. The youngest was Harvey Salathiel Samples Jr.

It is wonderful how a prompt as open as the ones given for the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge can cause you to think so much and look deeper into your Ancestors. I hope everyone is enjoying this challenge I look forward to hearing about your Favorite Name.


#52Ancestors


(1)Wikipedia contributors, "Shealtiel," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shealtiel&oldid=817418896) (accessed February 6, 2018).

No comments:

Post a Comment