Tuesday, February 27, 2018



52 Ancestors Week 8 - Heirloom


This week was an easy one for me. There is one heirloom in my possession that was once part of a living person who would turn 125 on the 6th of March this year. In the early 1950′s, (not long after my mother and father married) Mamaw Sophia Ellis Samples gave my mom, Janice Bell (Samples) Gilbert a gift that would be in the family for years to come. She gave her a three-foot-long ponytail that was not to be a keepsake but to sell just in case she needed money for food. Mom cherished this gift and the meaning behind it. She saved the Ponytail, and in the late 1970′s added her own three-foot ponytail. Mom gave me the Ponytails in the late 80′s and to carry on the tradition I added my three-foot ponytail in the late 1990′s.


To my delight, I received a photo of Nancy Bell (McTheny) Ellis (Sophia Ellis Samples’ mother), who on 8 Feb 1865 would have been 153, from my cousin. The photo shows Nancy standing with her long hair flowing.


I have since added in December 2017 another nearly three-foot ponytail to the collection as well as a smaller ponytail from my youngest daughter. I hope one day to pass these ponytails down to her. You never know maybe in thirty to forty years there will be a great-great-granddaughter receiving this once living gift.

Mel before the cut 2016


#52Ancestors





No comments:

Post a Comment